¾ cup buttermilk
Okra, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
¾ cup yellow cornmeal
½ cup self-rising flour
3 tsp Creole seasoning
Oil for frying
1. Heat ½ inch oil in a cast iron skillet.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
3. Beat egg and buttermilk in a bowl; soak sliced okra in mixture for 5 minutes.
4. Mix cornmeal, flour and Creole seasoning in a shallow dish.
5. Drain okra, toss in flour-cornmeal mixture. Rest 5 minutes.
6. Fry okra small batches until they begin to turn golden.
7. Remove okra from oil, set on paper towels to strain excess oil. Continue to fry small batches.
8. Spread fried okra on a baking sheet, keep in warmed oven until all okra is fried.
9. Serve hot and crisp.