8 ounces dried black eyed peas, soaked overnight
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup sugar
¼ cup olive oil
½ tsp crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper
3 green onions, chopped
1 tomato, diced
¼ cup red or orange pepper, chopped
¼ cup green pepper, chopped
3 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
Tortilla chips for serving
1. Drain and rinse peas.
2. Place peas in crockpot, cover with 2 inches water. Stir and set on high for six hours.
3. Test peas for doneness. They should be soft but not mushy. Drain peas and allow to cool.
5. In a large bowl, whisk vinegar and sugar until sugar has dissolved. Add oil, red pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Toss peas, chopped veges and bacon in vinaigrette. Allow at least 30 minutes for flavors to develop. Drain liquid.
7. Serve with tortilla chips